Thursday, May 05, 2005

Tough DWI case

Potential new client called last night, ~ 10 pm. My answering serviced texted me and I called and spoke with the father.

The kid had rear-ended someone and blew a 0.20 BAC on the breathalyzer. That's pretty high. To make things worse, the kid had a DWAI 3 years ago. Short story - his license will be revoked for 6 months minimum. They're having a lot of trouble accepting the reality of this.

DWI laws are too strict, but 0.20 BAC is high enough that I think it's a problem. The penalties for DWI are out of proportion to the offense, but that's the world we live in.

We'll see how it works out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My god - you're not kidding.. I just recently plead to a DWAI - for blowing a .125 on a stop.

I was told by my lawyer (who is also a judge who teaches other judges at albany law school -- AND a retired State Trooper) that how I was cited for following too closely and unsafe move from lane was likely B.S.. Especially after sitting in the courtroom and hearing 3 other cases exactly like mine, With EXACTLY the same supporting charges, on the same stretch of road by the same trooper.

So I got it plead down and have paid $555 in fines, plus lawyer fee and I have another $750 to pay the DMV for a "Responsibility assessment" - I haven't even started with the insurance yet.

Thing is, I passed the field sobriety test and so on.

You'd think they could have bought me dinner or something first, before completely having thier way with me? No?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.