Friday, October 14, 2005

Speeding tickets and out-of-state drivers - update

Following up on recent posts about out-of-state drivers and speeding tickets, I just got a new client with a NJ license. The driving record does indeed show a NY ticket. Below is how it appears:

********** Driving History **********
VIOLATIONS:
(1) STATE:NY VIOLATION DATE:02/26/2001 CONVICTION DATE:04/17/2001
POSTED SPEED LMT: 55 ACTUAL SPEED: 84
STATE DESCRIPTION: SPEEDING 25+ OVER THE LIMIT
STATE ASSIGNED POINTS: 2
COURT: NEW YORK
***********

The record shows other violations in NJ. Interesting to note that, while it shows up as only 2 points, the description of 25+ over the limit also shows on the NJ driving record. I'm not sure if insurance companies can consider the nature of the out-of-state offense, or only the points, when they decide on your premiums.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a useful forum. I got a ticket today 1110A in NY Bus Only lane Ticket says Disobey sign. I was making right on broom street to Holland tunnel and cut the bus lane for a 2 feet to take right at light. I hold NJ driver license. Please let me know what can I should be doing? Appear in Court?

Unknown said...

Thanks for your kind words. I'm kinda biased, but I think you might want to hire a lawyer. In this case, I would talk to Scott Feifer.