Friday, April 06, 2007

I've been rated ... and they actually said nice things

I got a letter the other day saying that I "have been awarded a CV Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, which deals with both ethical standards and legal ability. No, I'm not making this up. You can see for yourself on the Martindale Hubbell page on Warren Redlich.

A CV rating "identifies a lawyer with good to high legal ability [and] is a positive indication of ... professional expertise." This was the "result of an extensive ... peer review by members of your Bar."

At first I thought they were referring to my favorite bar, Mahar's. But then I realized they meant other lawyers in the Albany area. I am quite flattered that others spoke well of me. Now of course I'm looking at the fact that there are higher ratings -- BV and AV. The letter is kind of congratulations for getting a grade of a C. Somehow that's a good thing.

Of course I'm also rationalizing why I didn't get a higher rating. Hmm ... maybe you have to get the CV rating first before they'll elevate you to a higher one. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Actually, I looked around the listings for Albany and the AV-rated lawyers I saw are people who've been around a long time and are well-known for their excellence. I was surprised to see that Joe McCoy and Scott Bush (Roche Corrigan McCoy and Bush) are only BV rated. Both are truly outstanding lawyers. I've been dealing with Scott for about 10 years now and he was well-recognized when I first met him. Joe is also widely respected in the Albany criminal defense bar, and has been for years. A friend of mine is, like me, rated CV. He is one of the best DWI lawyers in New York State, and he's been doing it longer than I have. So maybe a CV rating isn't so bad.
Post a Comment