Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Me, Rudy Giuliani, and some other guy

Here's a picture for ya!

I'm kidding about the "some other guy" in the title. That's Peter King, a congressman thought to be a candidate for US Senate in 2010.

The Rudy thing is funny. I have been critical in the past of him: Rudy Giuliani and Ron Paul. I've never quite figured out why he's a hero for 9/11. He showed up and made a speech or two.

If he had recognized that the buildings were unstable and ordered the firemen out, saving lives, that might make him a hero. If he had anticipated some kind of terrorist attack, had a team study likely targets, determined the WTC vulnerability and taken steps in advance to shore up the towers or plans for dealing with an attack, then that might make him a hero. But showing up and making a few speeches? That's not heroic. The firemen were the heroes, and some cops too.

I'm not the first to question his hero status. See the discussion in Wikipedia. And there's Blue Collar Politics.

And of course, he was an aggressive prosecutor. That Wikipedia page covers some of the concerns.

But the most important thing -- I actually look good in this picture. I'm not photogenic but this one came out okay. I also like how my gray striped suit contrasts with their dark suits.

The photo part of the event was funny. It was the Albany County Republican Lincoln-Reagan Dinner. We paid a lot of money and went up to a room where many people stood in line waiting for their chance to be photo'd with Giuliani and King, along with about 5 seconds of conversation.

Overall the event was great. I actually liked Rudy's speech. He had some funny lines -- the Yankees did really well while he was Mayor, and not so great since he left. He jokingly claimed credit for their success. Food was good - the Desmond always does a good job. Lots of great people at the event too. The Albany County GOP did a solid job on it - kudos to John Graziano (the Chair), Dan Farrell (he did a lot of the work), and whoever else was involved.

5 comments:

Martin Kehoe said...

Warren:
You are correct. You do look good in the picture. 90% is showing up. And we all know you do the other 10%. Keep up the good work.

david said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave Feiden said...

A little credit and maybe a link..the photos were taken by Dave Feiden of Niskayuna
www.davefeiden.com thx Dave

Unknown said...

Thanks Dave. Great job on the picture! That makes two top-notch photographers in Niskayuna - Joan Heffler had done great work for us - joanheffler.com.

Superb Jon said...

AP October 24, 1994, Monday Republican Mayor Rudolph Giuliani rejected his own party's candidate for governor Monday and threw his support behind embattled Democrat Mario Cuomo's bid for a fourth term. . . The mayor had repeatedly said he was concerned that Pataki's plan to cut New York's state income tax by 25 percent over four years might mean less state aid to the city even though Pataki had vowed that it wouldn't. . . The Republican mayor told the City Hall news conference he was aware he was taking a risk by endorsing a Democrat, but added: "Mario Cuomo will simply be a better governor than George Pataki."

AP August 19, 1994 Giuliani, a former federal prosecutor elected mayor last fall, stood on a stage with Clinton in Minneapolis last week and applauded after the president ripped congressional Republicans who derailed the bill.



AP February 8, 2000 Giuliani has routinely run for mayor with Liberal Party backing. . . "He's wrong on domestic partners, he's wrong on gays in the military, he's wrong on gay rights, he's wrong on rent control, he's wrong on ... we could just go on and on and on," Long said.



AP March 3, 1997 Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who enjoys his role as a tough politician, stunned friends and foes alike as he gamboled before 2,000 people at a black-tie affair dressed as a woman. . . Giuliani called his feminine alter ego "Rudia." Giuliani, running for a second term this year, remarked that he is "a Republican pretending to be a Democrat pretending to be a Republican."


AP June 28, 2001 Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, in an effort to escape the strains of his divorce, has forsaken Gracie Mansion for the refuge of a close friend's high-rise apartment, according to published reports. . . The East Side apartment is owned by the mayor's friend, Howard Koeppel, a [homosexual] Queens car dealer and mayoral fund-raiser



UPI February 24, 1982 Mayor Edward Koch, who now wants to run for governor and will need upstate support to win, says living in the suburbs is ''sterile,'' and rural life is a ''joke.'' Koch made the comments in an interview with Playboy magazine . . . Questioned about time wasted in city subways, Koch replied, ''As opposed to wasting time in a car? Or out in the country, wasting time in a pickup truck when you have to drive 20 miles to buy a gingham dress or a Sears Roebuck suit?''