Thursday, June 15, 2006

Out-of-state tickets for NY drivers

Once in a while a NY driver will call and ask me about a speeding ticket they got in another state. Generally, the answer is that a ticket in another state won't affect you, as long as you deal with it. If you ignore it or otherwise screw up the process in that state, they might suspend you there and NY would then suspend you here. That's bad.

One comment: Tickets in Ontario and Quebec are supposed to count on your NY driving record - sort of. The DMV website says that - the full text of part of one of their webpages is below - but I'm not sure it's completely true.

I've seen hundreds of NY driving records and never seen an Ontario or Quebec ticket on one. I've seen several records from other states with tickets on them from different states, and I see more NY records than I do from other states, so I'm a bit suspicious. I'm not going to drive up to Montreal and speed around to find out, but I'm suspicious nonetheless.

The other thing is, even if it shows up on your record, I don't think it would count against you for insurance. Insurance Law § 2335 refers to violations of the Vehicle & Traffic Law. Violations in Quebec and Ontario can't be violations of NY V&T Law. Maybe there's a provision somewhere else, but I haven't seen it yet.

The DMV website says:

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a Automotive Technician
for a Dealer in NJ and i recieved a speeding ticket in NJ but i am a NY resident and have a NYS drivers license. From what im reading The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. So my question is what will appear on my record if a dealer runs my license. will it show up will there be point? in general what will it be in NJ and in NY

Unknown said...

I'm not sure, but most likely you will have a record in the NJ MVC database, and it will show up in that. It will not show up in NY.

You might want to hire a lawyer to help with the NJ ticket to minimize the damage there. I suggest Thomas Blauvelt.

Anonymous said...

I have a ny licence I got a speeding and stop sign ticket in California I paid. will my insurance go up? will it effect my record I asked the court here they aren't clear...

Anonymous said...

Question my boyfriend received a speeding ticket a while back in Virgina and found out his license is suspended here in NY. Virginia told him he can mail in a money order for the ticket but will also owe money to the DMV (fine, surchages) can he pay them here in NY or does he have to go to Virginia? Thanks for any help you can give him.

Unknown said...

I don't fully understand the question, but these look like questions for the DMVs in each state.

Anonymous said...

Received a speeder, 80/70 in Virginia Christmas Eve day. It seems I won't get pts in NY but will it affect my insurance premium?