Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Albany Lawyer Ages

I guess it had to happen after I turned 40 a few years ago. I'm really starting to notice the aging process.

Examples:

We attended an intern's "Kegs on a Deck" party. Some attendees did "keg stands". This is a handstand (supported by others) on top of a keg while drinking from the tap. I did not do a keg stand but I did eat three chili dogs - which is probably worse. They did taste really good though.

I'm getting used to MRI machines. Had my carotid scanned today. Here's a tip by the way. It helps to find something to do while you're inside the donut so that you don't feel trapped. I think about my breathing and, thanks to all the Tai Chi and Qi Gong, visualize the chi flowing around my body. I also twiddled my fingers, and got a surprising amount of entertainment value out of that. I'm still laughing about my brain MRI result - negative.

I'm getting used to having my prostate checked too. That ain't right. On the plus side, it apparently shrank since the last one.

My body is deteriorating. I've had this chronic lumbar spasm for more than a year. Fortunately it's been better lately. I've had bad knees and ankles for a long time and recently noticed significant atrophy on one side at the knee. We'll see what my favorite orthopedist has to say in a couple days. A few weeks ago I played basketball with a friend. My heel still hurts from it. One more thing to discuss with the doctor.

I'm finally going to start taking a baby aspirin regularly, and am even thinking about whether to start taking a statin. I have never taken any medication on a consistent basis and have been reluctant to change that. If I overcome that reluctance, is that a sign of maturity or giving up? I posted a poll on Facebook about statins: Statin Poll.

I have life insurance. Not just one, but two policies. My wife still tells me I'm worth more alive. I'm pretty sure she means it.

I used to have nightmares where I was attacked. Being an outrageous optimist, I always won. But growing up has changed me. Now in my nightmares my kids are attacked. The optimism still prevails - I always save them. Maybe when I'm older they'll save themselves.

I bought a PlayStation (PS3) for my birthday a couple years ago, but I almost never play the games. A friend suggested a game for me - Kill Zone or something like that. It arrived a couple months ago and I still haven't opened the package.

During college I lifeguarded at pools in the summer. I was bored and wanted to do things. Now I am very busy with two businesses, politics, and family stuff. For vacations I sit by a pool and don't want to leave.

I'm older than some of the judges I see in Court.

I was going to buy a Porsche 911 and chose a Honda Accord instead because it's more practical.

Winter used to be fun. Now it bothers me.

Maybe the funniest thing is when I complain to people in their 70s. Apparently I don't know the half of it. But hopefully I'll find out.

No comments: