Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A beautiful drive

One of the nice things about being a lawyer in the Albany area is the occasional drive somewhere different. Tonight I went to Claverack Town Court one of the traffic courts in Columbia County. Then I went to a meeting in the Town of Schoharie, in Schoharie County.

Initially, Google Maps suggested going back to I-90 and then to I-88 and down into Schoharie. But that seemed way out of the way. And I always like to try local roads and back roads. So I goofed around a bit more on Google and found Route 145, which runs from just west of Catskill (in Greene County) to Middleburgh (in Schoharie County). Route 145 was a very nice ride and a gorgeous drive. Some beautiful mountain and valley views.

The day before I drove from Fort Plain (just west of Canajoharie) in Montgomery County up to Johnstown in Fulton County. I went up Route 10 and took a shortcut on "New Turnpike Road" to Route 67 East. That's another great drive.

Something different about the Albany area. I lived in Texas and have spent time in Florida. Most of the drives in those states (where I was) are a lot of flat land. The rivers, valleys, mountains and lakes in this area make for great views. California has a lot of that too.

No comments: